Deep cleaning doesn’t need to be a one-season chore. Experts say doing a thorough cleaning of your home has a number of health benefits. A clean home can strengthen your immune system and help you avoid illnesses. A decluttered living space can also reduce stress and depression as well as help avoid injuries, like tripping.
According to the American Cleaning Institute (ACI), 74% of Americans do general surface-level cleaning more often than deep cleaning. That leaves 26% who deep clean their home on a regular basis, thoroughly cleaning the entire home and its floors, furniture and surfaces.
Bathrooms and kitchens are typically the rooms that get deep cleaned most often. Don’t forget about living rooms and bedrooms though. You spend time in those on a daily basis, so it’s worth giving them some special treatment as well. According to ACI survey results, 60% of people deep clean because they recognize their home needs a thorough cleaning. Other motives to deep clean on an annual basis include to remove clutter, to remove asthma or allergy triggers, and to prevent the spread of illness.
The Power of Cleanliness
Even if you already spring cleaned, consider the following health and well-being benefits from deep cleaning your home year-round:
• Strengthen the immune system—Dust, mold, mildew and pet dander can be allergy triggers.
• Reduce stress and depression—A clutter-free home has a positive effect on people’s daily mood and ability to focus. Organizing, tossing or donating can be mentally refreshing and liberating, too.
• Sleep better—With less stress comes better sleep. According to the National Sleep Foundation, people who make their beds every morning are 19% more likely to get a good night’s rest.
• Prevent illness—Keep surfaces clean to improve food safety and minimize the spread of harmful germs.
• Boost productivity—Clutter is distracting. Looking at too many things at once interferes with your brain’s ability to process information.
Boost your well-being today by dusting, vacuuming, washing and reorganizing. This is the perfect time to get your regular cleaning routine back on track.